Re: Quo vadis, -CURRENT? (recent changes to cc & compatibility)

From: Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock_at_gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:23:55 +0200
Steve Kargl wrote:

> I have no problems in building the traditional C "hello world"
> program with "cc -pedantic".

You're right about that, you'll need a C++ hello world (<iostream>, cout).
This is in the archives anyway and (should be) well known.

>>(why could
>>this change not have been made _after_ 4.9 is out the door, btw.? Or before
>>5.0-R FWIW.)
>

> 4.9 and 5.0-R are independent branch.  By your logic we should wait to
> 4.10 or 4.11 or 4.12 or ... before any substantial change can be made
> to -CURRENT.

The point is that is isn't wise to commit a change like the -pthread
deprecation that breaks many ports just before a ports-freeze.

> The reason gcc-3.3.1 was committed before 5.0-R should
> be fairly obvious.

I was concerned with the -pthread deprecation.

>>I feel that a FreeBSD that manages to break so many existing
>>configure-scripts and build systems is degraded in usefulness.
>
> Please see the Handbook for the distinction between -CURRENT
> and -STABLE.

Oh please.

--
    ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi_at_freebsd.org