Re: Quo vadis, -CURRENT? (recent changes to cc & compatibility)

From: Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock_at_gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 01:41:05 +0200
Steve Kargl wrote:

> Why?  The portmgr can tag the ports collection at any point in
> time before or after the -pthread deprecation date.

Steve, ports-freeze dates are set and published ahead of time just as dates
for releases are. It's obviously not a good thing to have to try and be very
conservative with commits to ports (in order to have a maximum number of them
working for the next 4.x release) while at the same time there is loud demand
for fixing a big number of them for -CURRENT.

Don't bother telling me I'm whining, pointing at the handbook again and saying
"don't expect anything to work on -CURRENT at any given time", you're shooting
the messenger.

--
    ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi_at_freebsd.org