Re: your mail

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 09:20:24 -0700 (PDT)
Please use subject lines. Thanks.

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Tomi Vainio - Sun Finland wrote:

> Dag-Erling Smørgrav writes:
>  >
>  > An NMI almost certainly indicates a hardware failure.
>  >
> Lucas James writes:
>  >
>  > It could be a power supply on the way out.  I had an old dual P-166 that
>  > rebooted misterously until I took out two CD-ROM drives I wanted
>  > for another
>  > machine. (replaced the power supply, and refitted the CDROMS, and
>  > every thing worked ok.)
>  >
> We're already running this system with two power supplys.  All old
> stuff is using old power and 4 new disks were attached to new one.

Well this might be the source of problems.  I've expressed caution at
doing this sorrt of thing before since getting the grounds equallized can
be tricky.  If the ground levels become unequalized, or worse you get some
sort of ground loop going, you could damage your hardware, or cause Wierd
Untraceable Problems.