Ports broken by compiler upgrade

From: Pete Carah <pete_at_altadena.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 22:56:30 -0700
Many ports that compile in C++ are broken by the recent
compiler upgrade; the packages distribution hasn't caught
up *at all* either.  I know part of the reason is that some
of the affected ports don't compile at all with the new
compiler (by trying).  I presume that the converse probably
holds too; once the ports are fixed then the resulting
packages probably won't work on a current dated before
last week.  It might be a good idea to keep an older
package directory around for a while for those not-quite-
so-adventurous types...

Two examples, artsd and aspell both abort instantly with
undefined symbols; either the name-mangling has changed
or one or another library has changed, or both.  Aspell
is needed for pan2 to work and artsd is obvious to those
who like sound in kde.   Neither compiles completely as-is
(artsd itself actually does but several needed "extension"
modules don't, leaving things less than useful).

This may be old news but...  It is not quite enough to
make sure that the main tree compiles with a newly-committed
compiler - some of the ports are so widely used (e.g. XFree86)
that they could be considered to be fairly essential.

I don't need any replies to this; it is just a note to
whomever it may concern (lots of port-maintainers, and
the compiler folk(s))...

It does leave my laptop less than useful; I can back up
to last week easily enough but that is lots of trouble
(and don't say to use 4.x in the laptop since it (like many
modern laptops) depends on several drivers that are only in
current, like cardbus.)

-- Pete