Re: Ports broken by compiler upgrade

From: Alexander Kabaev <kan_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 06:19:58 +0000
On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 10:56:30PM -0700, Pete Carah wrote:
> Many ports that compile in C++ are broken by the recent
> compiler upgrade; the packages distribution hasn't caught
> up *at all* either.  I know part of the reason is that some
> of the affected ports don't compile at all with the new
> compiler (by trying).  I presume that the converse probably
> holds too; once the ports are fixed then the resulting
> packages probably won't work on a current dated before
> last week.  It might be a good idea to keep an older
> package directory around for a while for those not-quite-
> so-adventurous types...
>
> Two examples, artsd and aspell both abort instantly with
> undefined symbols; either the name-mangling has changed
> or one or another library has changed, or both.  Aspell
> is needed for pan2 to work and artsd is obvious to those
> who like sound in kde.   Neither compiles completely as-is
> (artsd itself actually does but several needed "extension"
> modules don't, leaving things less than useful).
>
> This may be old news but...  It is not quite enough to
> make sure that the main tree compiles with a newly-committed
> compiler - some of the ports are so widely used (e.g. XFree86)
> that they could be considered to be fairly essential.

GCC snapshots were available for ports people to test their ports
quite some time in advance.  Expecting gcc maintainers to fix all
major ports to work with each new GCC version directy contradicts the
goal of having in-tree compiler updated more often than once every
100 years.

I would gladly respond to any bug report, indicating the trouble
with compiler itself, though.

--
Alexander Kabaev