Re: Ports broken by compiler upgrade

From: Kent Stewart <kstewart_at_owt.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 00:01:41 -0700
On Wednesday 04 August 2004 11:19 pm, Alexander Kabaev wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 10:56:30PM -0700, Pete Carah wrote:
> > Many ports that compile in C++ are broken by the recent
> > compiler upgrade; the packages distribution hasn't caught
> > up *at all* either.  I know part of the reason is that some
> > of the affected ports don't compile at all with the new
> > compiler (by trying).  I presume that the converse probably
> > holds too; once the ports are fixed then the resulting
> > packages probably won't work on a current dated before
> > last week.  It might be a good idea to keep an older
> > package directory around for a while for those not-quite-
> > so-adventurous types...
> >
> > Two examples, artsd and aspell both abort instantly with
> > undefined symbols; either the name-mangling has changed
> > or one or another library has changed, or both.  Aspell
> > is needed for pan2 to work and artsd is obvious to those
> > who like sound in kde.   Neither compiles completely as-is
> > (artsd itself actually does but several needed "extension"
> > modules don't, leaving things less than useful).
> >
> > This may be old news but...  It is not quite enough to
> > make sure that the main tree compiles with a newly-committed
> > compiler - some of the ports are so widely used (e.g. XFree86)
> > that they could be considered to be fairly essential.
>
> GCC snapshots were available for ports people to test their ports
> quite some time in advance.  Expecting gcc maintainers to fix all
> major ports to work with each new GCC version directy contradicts the
> goal of having in-tree compiler updated more often than once every
> 100 years.
>
> I would gladly respond to any bug report, indicating the trouble
> with compiler itself, though.

I consider changing compilers like this to be the equivalent of the
libintl.so.* changes. You have to think that the interfaces in the
headers have changed and everything needs to be rebuilt using the new
compiler. Since I updated XFree86 to xorg, I couldn't do a
portupgrade -pufa easily. The upgrade had to be done more piece meal.

What I have found, with one exception (libxine), is that a -Rf
portupgrade did wonders on making individual ports compile again. FWIW,
I am not having any problem building artsd or aspell.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA