Re: suspend/resume panic in ACPI..

From: Marc van Kempen <marc_at_bowtie.nl>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 16:06:51 +0200
Søren Schmidt wrote:

> Nate Lawson wrote:
>
>> Søren Schmidt wrote:

>>> OK, that makes the box suspend alright, but neither that nor any
>>> other box or laptop I've got can get out of suspend without locking up.
>>>
>>> If I revert just /sys/dev/acpica and /sys/i386/acpica to aug-01 both
>>> suspend and resume works (sortof, it does tend to panic later on).
>>> It starts failing around aug-05 and then detoriates from that on to
>>> the current state of locking up hard on resume.
>>> It also fails in the exact same way on non-ATA systems, so I think
>>> I'm out of the loop this time :)
>>

>> This may be fixed now in both current and releng_5.  A logic
>> inversion bug (= / !=) was causing pci irq link programming on resume
>> to fail.  It didn't impact many people since a lot of systems have
>> chipsets that keep power to irq links while suspended.
>>
>> Please test again.
>

> There is no change, the systems all lock up hard on resume, on the two
> laptops (ASUS & Acer) the backlight doesn't even come on anymore....
>
> Again reverting /sys/dev/acpica and /sys/i386/acpica back to aug 1st
> make things work (well almost, but that might not be ACPI's fault)...
>
> This is a showstopper bug for 5.3 IMHO...

I don't know if I'm just lucky now and who is responsible, but after
updating to RELENG_5 about an hour ago, my suspend problems seem to be
fixed. The only thing that doesn't work (and I can't remember now if it
has worked in before) is that using dri in XF86Config locks the display
(not the machine, ctrl-alt-del will reboot it cleanly). Uncommenting dri
makes suspend work ok.

This is with XFree86-4.3.0 on a thinkpad r40.

Cheers and thanks,
Marc.