Re: No more floppy drive

From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 00:21:53 +0300
On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 10:57:31PM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> Ruslan, I have my left arm in a sling and keyboard work is very
> painful still so this will be short:

My sympathy.  :-(

> There are two current problem issues with floppy disks, one is a
> ACPI and possibly ISA issue about resource reservation,

I don't think this is related to ACPI.  But before I wrote, I
tried with and without ACPI -- it didn't make any difference.
I think this is an ISA resource reservation issue (see below).

> and the
> other is that I may have made the probe/attach too selective with
> my last commit to fdc.c.

No, I tried backing it out too, before I wrote.  This doesn't
make any difference except for a visible change (s/printf/
device_printf/ that you made in this commit).

> I don't know which of the two you hit here, but suspect the first
> because the "device_attach: fdc0 attach returned 2" doesn't look
> like anything I have any connection with.

On a kernel compiled without "device fdc" and booted verbosely,
"kldload fdc" results in the following:

: fdc0: cannot reserve I/O port range (6 ports)
: ppc0: cannot reserve I/O port range
: fdc1: ic_type 90 part_id 73
: fdc1: <Enhanced floppy controller> at port 0x3f7,0x3f0-0x3f5 irq 6 drq 2 on isa0
: fdc1: ic_type 90 part_id 73
: fdc1: output ready timeout
: fdc1: output ready timeout
: fdc1: output ready timeout
: fdc1: output ready timeout
: fdc1: output ready timeout
: fdc1: output ready timeout
: fdc1: output ready timeout
: fdc1: output ready timeout
: fdc1: input ready timeout
: fdc1: output ready timeout
: fdc1: input ready timeout
: fdc1: output ready timeout
: fdc1: input ready timeout
: fdc1: output ready timeout
: fdc1: input ready timeout

Note that it somehow staffs ppc0 in the middle.  The ppc
related output before kldload was:

: ppc0: parallel port found at 0x3bc
: ppc0: cannot reserve I/O port range
: ppc0: <Parallel port> failed to probe at port 0x3bc-0x3c3 irq 7 on isa0
: ppc1: using normal I/O port range
: ppc1: SPP
: ppc1: <Standard parallel printer port> at port 0x3bc-0x3bf irq 7 on isa0
: ppc1: Generic chipset (NIBBLE-only) in COMPATIBLE mode
: ppbus0: <Parallel port bus> on ppc1

This is very very odd -- obviously I don't have neither fdc1
nor ppc1.  ;)

> Please pepper the stuff with printfs and see if you can find out
> where it explodes, and then send email to Warner, Nate and me
> about what you find.

What stuff would you like me to pepper, given the additional
information above?

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov