Re: Random lockups on 3ware 8506-8

From: Stefan Bethke <stb_at_lassitu.de>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 17:55:47 +0200
Am 26.08.2004 um 21:56 schrieb Cassidy B. Larson:

> I've been experiencing random lockups on a few of our servers with a
> 3ware 8506 SATA controller.  Sometimes during the middle of the night,
> or early in the morning.  The machine basically freezes and has to be
> power cycled.  No keyboard, errors on the console, nothing to say what
> the problem was.
>
> I found a PR that seems to follow the same pattern as my problems: PR
> kern/70360
>
> (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/70360)
>
> However, haven't seen anything else.
>
> Anybody else experiencing the same symptoms?

I had trouble on a dual Xeon with a 8506 controller a while back; when
running find, or unpacking the ports tree, the machine would lock up.
We did suspect flakey hardware, but it appears to be working reliably
now. Not sure which of the many things we tried did it.

It's currently running -current from end of May; I will upgrade it to
RELENG_5 when I find the time, hopefully the next couple of days.

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke <stb_at_lassitu.de>   Fon +49 170 346 0140