Re: 5.3-BETA1 install floppies working?

From: Ken Smith <kensmith_at_cse.Buffalo.EDU>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 12:59:46 -0400
On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 12:32:36AM -0700, David Syphers wrote:
> Has anyone succesfully used the install floppies for 5.3-BETA1? When I tried,
> it wasn't able to load the kernel successfully from the kern1 floppy (didn't
> ask for the kern2 floppy, so I'm not sure what that's for). I'm curious
> whether my computer is just crazy, or if there's actually something wrong
> with the floppies (which I assume don't get a lot of testing these days).

As part of my testing procedure I go through before uploading i386
release stuff I test a floppy-initiated FTP-based install on a desktop
machine.  It passed that test.  I'd suspect a bad floppy disk itself or
corrupted floppy image file (you might want to check the MD5's).  If
neither of those helps you might give blowing the dust off your floppy
drive heads a try. :-)

Both kern1 and kern2 floppies are required - the kernel with a reasonable
number of device drivers compiled into it has grown too big for one floppy.
If you hadn't gotten an error while it was reading kern1 it should have
asked you for kern2 before it moved on to booting the kernel and starting
the install.

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith_at_cse.buffalo.edu