Re: wscons from NetBSD

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:33:40 -0600 (MDT)
In message: <20040828234258.GB34157_at_afields.ca>
            Allan Fields <bsd_at_afields.ca> writes:
: On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 12:52:08PM -0400, Anish Mistry wrote:
: >
: > I'm in the process of trying to update a bunch of the USB HID code to be back
: > in sync with NetBSD since there are numerous problems with our current code
: > that have been fixed for a couple of years now in the NetBSD code.  The major
: > problem that I'm running into is their dependency on wscons for a few of the
: > drivers.  Has there been any work on porting wscons to FreeBSD?  It would
: > make this import much easier and make future imports much simpler too.
:
: But is that reason enough?  Personally I have nothing against wscons.
:
: If it was ported I would suggest it by default at least provide a scrollback
: like OpenBSD, and obviously, syscons do.  (Unless that is a feature to it.)
:
: Is another one needed?  In FreeBSD there is currently two:
: 	syscons
: 	pcvt

The big problem with syscons is that it makes a bunch of assumptions
about the underlying hardware, making it awkward to port to new
platforms.  wscons, on the other hand, doesn't.  However, syscons and
pcvt have some cool features that wscons doesn't have.

Warner