Re: 5.3-RELEASE TODO - make/kqueue

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 02:00:25 -0400
At 5:45 PM -0700 8/29/04, Doug White wrote:
>On Sat, 28 Aug 2004, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>
>>  I do still get the "*** Signal 6"s, even though I am now running
>  > with v1.76 of src/sys/kern/kern_lock.c.  ...
>
>If you're sure you've updated, and have tried rebuilding make
>to eliminate a corrupted binary, then you might have hardware
>problems.

This seems much too repeatable to be hardware.  The more times I
repeat my testing, the more consistent the problem seems.  (but
I'll spare you the details until I narrow it down even more...).

I am sure I have rebuilt make several times, because I am switching
between "make WITH_KQUEUE" and make without kqueue, and I do
complete recompiles each time I switch.  These signal-6's are not
coming up in "normal operation" for me.  It is only when I have
been stress-testing changes to the make command.

>Are you using gvinum?

No.  I am not that adventurous when it comes to filesystems.  I use
plain UFS2.  I even turn off background FSCK-ing because I'm not
sure I trust it yet...

Please note that I did not mean to make a big deal about these
signal 6's.  I have to go out-of-my-way to trigger the problem, but
now that I know what to do I can trigger it at will.  Given that I
can repeat it I do intend to keep poking away at it, but I do not
consider this a serious issue.  So unless a lot of other people
start reporting something similar, I do not expect anyone else to
spend any of their own time trying to pin it down.  It's the kind
of annoying little anomaly that will drive me nuts unless I pin it
down, but in the greater scheme of things it is probably irrelevant.

I do appreciate the suggestions because they give me more ideas of
things I want to try when I have the time.  But I don't expect
anyone to worry about this.  Certainly I am not worried about it.

The main thing I wished to say was just "Great progress has been
made wrt using KQUEUE for make", given how well it has stood up
to my repeated hammering of it.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad_at_freebsd.org