Re: 5.3-RELEASE TODO - make/kqueue

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:19:56 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> At 5:45 PM -0700 8/29/04, Doug White wrote:
> >On Sat, 28 Aug 2004, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> >
> >>  I do still get the "*** Signal 6"s, even though I am now running
> >  > with v1.76 of src/sys/kern/kern_lock.c.  ...
> >
> >If you're sure you've updated, and have tried rebuilding make
> >to eliminate a corrupted binary, then you might have hardware
> >problems.
>
> This seems much too repeatable to be hardware.  The more times I
> repeat my testing, the more consistent the problem seems.  (but
> I'll spare you the details until I narrow it down even more...).
>
> I am sure I have rebuilt make several times, because I am switching
> between "make WITH_KQUEUE" and make without kqueue, and I do
> complete recompiles each time I switch.  These signal-6's are not
> coming up in "normal operation" for me.  It is only when I have
> been stress-testing changes to the make command.

What counts as a 'stress-test'? I can attempt to reproduce it here.  So
far my machines build world OK, but I don't have WITH_KQUEUE set yet.  It
doesn't sound like the kqueue option follows the problem, though....

> Please note that I did not mean to make a big deal about these
> signal 6's.

Well you shouldn't be getting them, and it'd be nice to fix it now while
we have a known broken case.