Re: USB keyboard problems

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 00:27:41 -0600 (MDT)
In message: <20040829235244.G6505_at_midi.ihme.net>
            Markus Hästbacka <midian_at_ihme.org> writes:
: On Sat, 28 Aug 2004, Christopher Nehren wrote:
:
: > On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 15:43:56 EDT, M. Warner Losh scribbled these
: > curious markings:
: >> So current from aug 15th works, but current from today with aug 15th
: >> usb doesn't.  Is that correct?
: >
: > Yes. Same for August 14th, and 13th.
: >
: Maybe this is not a usb problem? Maybe it's a problem in the keyboard
: driver? The keyboard driver has other problems too, for example: I have a
: keyboard with all these extra buttons, and if my keyboard is plugged in
: the ps2 port (whatever version of freebsd, 5.2.1, 4.10 etc.) the keys
: print some weird letter combinations to the console outside X, but if it's
: plugged into the usb port the keys don't have any life. FYI: my keyboard
: is a Logitech Internet Navigator SE.

There's a number of minor incompatibilities between usb key
translation and AT keyboard scan codes.  This sounds more like that
than a system problem.  If it were systemic, then you'd not get any
keys to work on the keyboard.  Also, the keyboard and hid interfaces
aren't married (I think latter day versions of NetBSD do this), so hid
breaking wouldn't have any impact on the rest.

Warner