Re: reboot without any info

From: Andre Guibert de Bruet <andy_at_siliconlandmark.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 15:17:09 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 18 Dec 2004, Sean McNeil wrote:

> This happens with a world/kernel and a portupgrade -frR totem built
> Today:
>
> From rom a user account, I did a gdb `which totem` and then an r.  This
> caused a reboot.
>
> This brings up a couple of questions I have.
>
> 1)  I do not get crash dumps.  I have

Your lack of any text at the console before the reboot indicates that a
hardware problem (Overheating CPU, defective memory, overheating ata
drives) is likely to be the cause of your woes.

> dumpdev=/dev/ad4s1b
> dumpon_enable="YES"
> savecore_enable="YES"

You forgot to specify dumpdir, the target directory for your core dump. I
don't recall the existance of savecore_enable and it doesn't seem to be
documented in /etc/defaults/rc.conf, either. Having unused options in
rc.conf will, of course, not stop your dump from happening...

> and in my kernel I have
>
> makeoptions     DEBUG=-g                # Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols
> options         KDB                     # Enable kernel debugger support.
> options         DDB                     # Support DDB.
> options         GDB                     # Support remote GDB.
>
> Are these options OK?  Should I remove/add something to get it working?

If you are suspecting bad behavior in your kernel, you probabaly should
enable INVARIANTS and WITNESS as well. As I previously stated, at this
point, you should probably start by examining the hardware FreeBSD is
running on.

In the future, I suggest that you paste the output of a `uname -a` with
any bug reports as well as URL for the dmesg of the machine. It helps
track things a bit better. :-)

Regards,
Andy