Re: VLAn support for atheros/Prism?

From: Brooks Davis <brooks_at_one-eyed-alien.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 16:49:26 -0800
On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 04:31:12PM -0800, mrcpu_at_cdsnet.net wrote:
> Well, I'm just looking through the specs of the microtik stuff, and they
> say they have vlan support over wireless now.
>
> I can fudge the VLAn support, at the cost of a reduced MTU using the
> "software emulation" vlan tagging, or whatever it is that FreeBSD does,
> and bridge those packets, but that's not the same as true hardware VLAN
> tagging.

You've got a serious misconception about how vlans work.  The only
hardware support that is required is support for a wire MTU of 1504
bytes so the tag fits on the packet without reducing payload size.  Some
interfaces have support for removing the tag from the packet for you and
indicating the tag out of band, but that's only an optimization.

-- Brooks