Re: VLAn support for atheros/Prism?

From: <mrcpu_at_cdsnet.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 19:46:08 -0800
I quote specifically from the FreeBSD vlan man page:

     The rest of the ethernet NICs supported by FreeBSD can run VLANs using
     software emulation in the vlan driver.  However, most of them lack the
     capability of transmitting and/or receiving oversized frames.  Using such
     a NIC as a parent interface implies a reduced MTU on the corresponding
     vlan interfaces.  In the modern Internet, this is likely to cause tcp(4)
     connectivity problems due to massive, inadequate icmp(4) filtering that
     breaks the Path MTU Discovery mechanism.

Nothing I said anywhere contradicts the above paragraph.

As I recall I tried creating a vlan dev attached to a wireless interface,
and it came up as 1480 for an MTU, rather than 1500.

So the original question still stands.  Is the issue with VLAN support over
wireless a function of the hardware not supporting 1500 byte packets + the VLAN
header?  Or just something in the software?