Re: The effects of WITNESS and INVARIANTS

From: Willem Jan Withagen <wjw_at_withagen.nl>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 00:55:17 +0100
From: "Robert Watson" <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.ORG>

> There was recently a thread on the general topic of preparing FreeBSD for
> benchmarking, which you might want to take a look at:
>
>   http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=18304
>
> We have a lot of debugger features on, and there are a number of general
> features that may adversely impact microbenchmarks.  I thought this was
> getting added to the FreeBSD handbook or developer's handbook somewhere,
> but Google isn't finding it...

I understand the concerns for testing. I saw PHK post too, and for the current
data
is was slightly too late because most of it was already collected.
There are several good suggestions in there, which will require some inventive
rewritting of the scripts. Especially once I'd like to try 2 NFS clients work on
one server, and they need to be started "synchronously".

Some of the suggestions are not quite possible: run no daemons....
NFS needs to be there, but in general services need to be reduced to a bare
minimum.

--WjW