Problem with serial console (5.2)

From: Rob MacGregor <rob_macgregor_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 07:08:31 +0000
Before I start tearing my hair out can somebody confirm that all I should
have to do is put:

-P

As the only contents of /boot.config and that I should just have to set:

hint.device.sio.0.flags="0x10"

in /boot/device.hints to get a serial console if I don't plug a keyboard in?

I'm having problems getting it working, and want to ensure I'm doing the
right thing (despite following the Handbook).  In desparation I did set the
flags to 0x30, which resulted in the following output from dmesg|grep sio0:

sio0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on acpi0
sio0: type 16550A, console

Not that it made any difference :(  If people can confirm this means I
should have a serial console I'll start looking at the null-modem cable, the
only part of the system that's not been confirmed good.

TIA

  Please DO NOT send me ANY email directly unless it's a privacy issue.
       Reply-to mangled to assist those who don't read the above.
--
Rob  |  What part of "no" was it you didn't understand?

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger