Re: problem with scsi device

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 11:47:32 -0800 (PST)
On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, Roberto Nunnari wrote:

> Thanks for your reply. I was convinced that it was a hardware problem, too..
> ..so I installed another OS on that same machine.. just to
> make sure it was a hardware problem.. big surprise! it worked
> without a problem.. ..went back to FreeBSD and the problem
> is again there..
>
> Do you believe that even after that it could still be a hardware
> problem? or a mix of hardware bug and software bug? May it be that
> FreeBSD software uses some buggy hardware features that the other
> OS just don't use?

Thats entirely possible, or some other SCSI command triggers a firmware
bug that makes the drive spaz out.

We went around for 6+ months with SpetraLogic and Sony on a firmware
problem on the AIT-2 drives that ADSM triggered.  It pretty much came down
to getting a SCSI recorder to see what the offending transactions were,
getting that sent off to Sony, and Sony issuing a fix.  By the time it got
fixed, the company was in the process of being acquired, and that whole
backup setup got repurposed. :)

You might check if there is a firmware update for your drive.