Re: CVSUP and 5.2.1 RELEASE

From: Barney Wolff <barney_at_databus.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 14:52:00 -0400
On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 08:28:32PM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <20040713182351.GA72492_at_pit.databus.com>, Barney Wolff writes:
> >On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 01:05:45PM -0500, Jason Dusek wrote:
> >>
> >> I ran make world this morning. I ran make kernel as well, but the kernel is
> >> broken, so I kept my old kernel. Does this mean that I have a RELEASE
> >> kernel but a CURRENT world? Am I headed for trouble?
> >
> >To core:
> >How many users do we have to sabotage with "make world" before it gets
> >removed from the make targets?  Is it really that hard in the very rare
> >case when "make buildworld && make installworld" is what's wanted to
> >type exactly that?
>
> And your argument here is that people are reciprocally less likely
> to hose (or as it may be: not hose) their systems because the have
> to type 27 characters more to do so ?

Yes.  That's why there are safeties on guns.  Or, since I'm using US
metaphors, "make world" could be considered an attractive nuisance,
like an unfenced swimming pool.

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.