Cd drive problems on dell 300m Laptop

From: Tony Montana <tonymontanadea_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 10:00:11 -0700 (PDT)
Hey everyone. I am currently running 4.10 on my Dell
300m laptop with little problems. The cd is an
attachment in the form of media base which connects to
the main unit via firewire. In 4.10 all the functions
on the media base work pretry much well except things
like a subwoofer and a volume control(which arent that
important), but the cd on said media base works
perfectly.

In 5.x(tried 5.0, 5.1 ,5.2.1) however after booting
into the installation menu, the cd/dvd drive is no
longer recognized. After choosing the initial options
and then the install media as cd/dvd, the install
claims "there are no cd/dvd drives present"(something
to that effect).
I have been able to install 5.x via dos partition and
once fully set up the dc drive is still unusable.

Id love to get the apm/acpi functions that are in 5.x
which work just fine, but do not work at all in 4.x
but not at the cost of my cd drive.

Any idea what may be happening? thanks