Re: Is there still sufficient reason for hw.ata.atapi_dma being 0 by default?

From: Chuck Swiger <cswiger_at_mac.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 12:01:31 -0400
Søren Schmidt wrote:
> Chuck Swiger wrote:
>> [ FWIW, I've got a 16/10/40x Yamaha burner which just predates the
>> first generation of burners with underrun protection-- this affects me
>> directly. ]
>
> Hmn, you should be able to burn 16x in PIO4 mode...

It's like trying to burn at 4x over a USB 1 channel-- 4x times 300KBs *fits*
into 10Mbs, but not by much, and not if anything else is taking some
bandwidth.  I almost always have another device (generally another CD-ROM or
DVD-ROM drive) sharing the secondary IDE channel with a burner.

For what it's worth, enabling atapi_dma seems to help a significant fraction
of the people using the dvd+rw-tools port, although issues with ATAPICAM are
more common.

>> Oh.  Ewww.  Could chipsets which do that be added to a "quirks" table
>> similar to the way USB devices are being handled?  Or is it not just
>> the chipset, but some more complex interaction between ATAPI DMA and
>> other devices in the system which want to do DMA which causes the lockup?
>
> Right, its a combination of chipset and device, the matrix would be
> impossible to maintain.

I would feel the same way about trying to make the ATA code work on devices I
didn't have available to test, but you're doing a remarkable job of handling
impossible tasks right now, Soren.  :-)

--
-Chuck