Re: HEADS UP! KSE needs more attention

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 14:31:56 -0600
Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 01:14:57PM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
>
>>All,
>>
>>We are about 4-6 weeks away from starting the 5.3 release cycle.  As it
>>stands, KSE still only works reliably on i386.
>

> I don't have any problems on ia64.

Good to hear =-)

>>... I'm willing to drop the alpha requirement and maybe even
>>the sparc64 requirement, but there absolutely will not be a 5.3 until
>>amd64 is solid.
>

> I think sparc64 should have KSE too. If we already accept that sparc64
> is feature incomplete, we set/acknowledge a really bad precedence.

I do too, but there is the difficult fact in that there are few people
out there that are willing to work on sparc64.  One person offered to
try to learn it and tackle it, but that's a lot to ask.  As with Alpha,
the fate of a platform rests on the people who are willing to work on
it, not on whether it is in a particular list.

Scott