Re: HEADS UP! KSE needs more attention

From: Marcel Moolenaar <marcel_at_xcllnt.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 13:48:17 -0700
On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 02:27:08PM -0600, Scott Long wrote:

> >Doug Rabson also has basic TLS support working in perforce.
>
> What platforms?  My understanding was that new binutils and gcc was
> needed for sparc64 at a minimum.

Yes. It's i386 only and not even close to being complete. In fact,
there has been discussions that the thread pointer on i386 needs to
change. Whether that's the case or not, it's likely that TLS will
complicate matters way too much to for it to ever work in 5.3.

> >It'd be nice to get TLS and debugging in before 5.3-release.
> >

> Yes.  Be aware that there is a serious effort to get GDB 6.x into the
> tree for 5.3.

I just asked cvs_at_ and core_at_ to advice about importing gdb 6.1 into
src/contrib/gdb6. We need to break this vicious circle of people
waiting on each other.

> That presents us with a bit of a dilemma since David's
> work is against GDB 5.x.

And not even complete. There are still issues that haven't found a
solution or even compromise and it too is only for i386.

--
 Marcel Moolenaar	  USPA: A-39004		 marcel_at_xcllnt.net