Re: HEADS UP! KSE needs more attention

From: Matthias Andree <ma_at_dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 02:32:11 +0200
Marcel Moolenaar <marcel_at_xcllnt.net> writes:

> As for alpha, we don't even seem to be able to degrade it to tier 2
> without losing face. kris_at_ has already stopped package builds for it
> for his own sake.

Alpha is special, with what seems to me like a GDB bug. Try this:

echo '#include <stdlib.h>
int main() {abort();}' >abortme.c
gcc -O2 -o abortme abortme.c
./abortme
gdb ./abortme ./core.abortme
(inside gdb:) backtrace
(inside gdb:) backtrace full
(inside gdb:) quit

This stuff is run as part of the ports/mail/bogofilter test suite (which
is part of the build) determine if core dumps from the build logs are
usable.

A couple of days ago, the backtrace of the trivial program ended up in
an unterminated loop on the build cluster, GDB kept repeating stack
frame #0. Whoops. The other architectures appeared fine though.

I haven't bothered to file a PR as I don't have an Alpha machine and
I'm not comfortable with filing second-hand bugs.

--
Matthias Andree

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95