Re: Today's -current panics

From: Bosko Milekic <bmilekic_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 15:22:06 +0000
othermark wrote:
>I get a very similar stack track traversing through sossend(), under heavy
>NFS load on a 1GB machine.   Note the panic message here, and the
>peculiarity that previous incarnations of -current did not panic under
>similar load.   It is highly reproduceable via a 'make installworld' via
>NFS with /usr/src and /usr/obj mounted.  The NFS serving machine will
>always panic using vanilla GENERIC:
>
>[root_at_pippin root]$ panic: kmem_malloc(4096): kmem_map too small: 40894464
>total
> allocated

  Do you have the kern.ipc.nmbclusters boot-time tunable set to 0?

  I just noticed that if this is set to zero then kmem_map will not
  be scaled larger to accomodate clusters and mbufs.  In this scenario,
  what I recommend that you do is increase the vm.kmem_size boot-time
  tunable to ~300,000,000 or ~400,000,000.  Currently, your kmem_map
  is way too small (looks like only ~40M).  Be careful not to overdo
  it, though, because you might also then have to increase the
  available KVA (KVA_PAGES).

  -Bosko