Re: Jails in -CURRENT

From: Andy Hilker <ah_at_crypta.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 14:33:12 +0100
Hi,

You (Lewis Thompson) wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 12:28:47PM +0100, Andy Hilker wrote:
> > I think it would be better, to have jail configuration outside from
> > rc.conf.
> > Maybe a knob in rc.conf for ON/OFF (start, mount, devfs).
> > And knobs pointing to different config files (mounts, jails, devfs,
> > ...)
>
> I don't really like the sound of this.  I get where you're coming from
> but right now rc.conf is one of the wonderful things about FreeBSD.
>
>   A friend of mine recently installed NetBSD and was amazed that
> everything was configurable from a single case.
>
>   I see why this functionality might be desirable (jails are very
> specific, after all) but if this happens we might just as well put all
> sorts of options into other files and end up with the mess that is
> ``Linux config scripts'' :)

Hmh... do you want to configure e.g. apache, sendmail, postfix in
rc.conf? :)
In my case I need many options and configuration lines for each
jail and currently i have about 15 jails on one host.
I do not want all this in rc.conf... Only general configuration or
for overiding defaults in /etc/defaults/rc.conf...
What about devfs rulesets... the are "outsourced". And "mount
rulesets", if implemented, should be outsourced, too.

It is only my opinion, and maybe you are right and i am not ;)
And one more thing: I like rc.conf and rc.d scripts, too. And i
love FreeBSD :-)

bye,
Andy