Re: Who wants SACK? (Re: was My planned work on networking stack)

From: Mark Allman <mallman_at_icir.org>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:54:57 -0500
>   > I hope it is clear to everyone that an investment in the 50K$
>   > range would provide a professional-grade implementation of SACK
>   > for FreeBSD, and this money is in the noise for any organization
>   > that uses trans-oceanic gigabit links.
>
> What Luigi says is absolutely correct.  It doesn't take a lot to get
> this done.  I've talked to a number of companies about implementing
> SACK for them and while there was interest, no one wanted to fund it
> all themselves, potentially for the benefit of their competitors.  I
> know of two that went and did it themselves for FreeBSD --- one of
> which did it wrong and saw zero benefit from SACK and another that did
> it right, but are keeping it proprietary as an edge.  Given that Linux
> and Windows already have it, these and the multiple past efforts
> collectively seem like an unnecessary duplication of work.  Perhaps if
> we could pool enough interest, we can raise enough to put this issue
> to rest once and for all.

On the freebsd web page, there is a note about monetary contributions.
I wonder if it would be worth it to make this a bit more verbose and
list specific things that are in need of funding.  So, companies can tag
a small donation for "SACK development" and when there is enough in the
pool it can just get done.  Would that spurn folks on a bit?  Or, would
it be useful to setup some sort of committment system whereby a company
can say "we'll throw 5K in if you get committments for the 50K you need
to make X happen".  It might be worth the modest investment to setup
something like that and keep it maintained.  That way it's a bit more
official than some random person running around and trying to put
together the required coin.

Just a thought ....

allman

--