Re: Who wants SACK? (Re: was My planned work on networking stack)

From: Mike Tancsa <mike_at_sentex.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 22:49:06 -0500
On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 15:32:37 -0800, in sentex.lists.freebsd.current
you wrote:

>  >> I know that our organization would love to see SACK. Much of the
>  >> high-performance network development that used to be on FreeBSD has
>  >> moved to Linux simply because SACK is essential. You can't run
>  >> trans-oceanic TCP streams of gigabit or more throughput without it.
>  >
>  > Whenever i hear these comments, i am very annoyed at one thing
>  > (which in a smaller scale repeats all over the place):
>  > people are more than happy to spend big money for things like
>  > routers or bandwidth or any kind of "commercial" stuff, but when
>  > it comes to open source it must be free or nothing.
>  >
>  > I hope it is clear to everyone that an investment in the 50K$
>  > range would provide a professional-grade implementation of SACK
>  > for FreeBSD, and this money is in the noise for any organization
>  > that uses trans-oceanic gigabit links.
>  > The fact that nobody seems to care about funding such a work
>  > either means that whatever is available already fits their
>
>What Luigi says is absolutely correct.  It doesn't take a lot to
>get this done.

We (Sentex) recently sponsored bms_at_freebsd.org to implement RFC 2385
for a bargin price.  We were faced with the choice to spend the money
on one cisco router or fund the development... It was a no brainer.

>Perhaps if we could pool enough interest, we can raise enough to
>put this issue to rest once and for all.

We dont have the funds to underwrite all of it, but would contribute.

	---Mike