Re: Fatal trap 12

From: Jon Noack <noackjr_at_alumni.rice.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 18:41:44 -0600
On 3/22/2004 10:49 AM, Roberto Nunnari wrote:
> last thursday I was running:
>
> web.dti.supsi.ch# uname -a
> FreeBSD web.dti.supsi.ch 5.2-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE-p1 #0: Fri
> Jan 30 19:15:51 CET 2004 root_at_web.dti.supsi.ch:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/WEB
> i386
>
> I cvsupped as always, when ssl fix was available with:
> *default tag=RELENG_5_2
> *default host=cvsup2.de.freebsd.org
> *default prefix=/usr
> *default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
> *default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress
> src-all
> doc-all
> ports-all tag=.
>
> ..., make installworld, mergemaster, bla bla bla..
>
> every thing seemed to go well as usual without a problem..
>
> but then, when rebooted I got:
>
> Fratal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
> cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
> fault virtual address = 0xff70ff70
> fault code            = supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pointer   = 0x8:0xc055ccc9
> stack pointer         = 0x10:0xe40dfb04
> frame pointer         = 0x10:0xe40dfb28
> code segment          = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>                       = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor eflags      = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> current process       = 302 (ifconfig)
> trap number           = 12
> panic: page fault
> cpuid = 0;
> boot() called on cpu#0
>
> syncing disks...
>
> That was quite late in the boot process.. in fact was
> while configuring the network interface. I could get to
> single user mode without problem.. but any time I tried to
> go to multiuser I got the the above error.
>
> I did a limited restore:
> /boot, /bin, /etc /lib, /libexec, /sbin
>
> that was enough to get the system back to multiuser mode
> and running great as usual..
>
> Yet.. I cannot seam to be able to upgrade the system any more..

Did you try booting with the old kernel before you did the restore?

In any case, at the very least we need your kernel config file and a
dmesg (preferably a verbose one).  Much better would be a crash dump:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html

If you're trying to get a crash dump, be sure you have the debugging
options enabled in your kernel config file (DEBUG=-g, INVARIANTS,
WITNESS, etc.).

Jon