ICH5 SATA controller problems?

From: Wes Peters <wes_at_softweyr.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 14:13:27 -0800
We have recently updated our "build server" to FreeBSD 5.2.1 and are bumping
into problems with the S/ATA drives that others have mentioned.  Earlier
today we configured the SATA controllers for "Legacy support" in the BIOS
as suggested recently on this list.  This seems to have partly fixed the
problem, since then we've experienced one hang that the system managed to
recover from after a minute or two of unresponsiveness.

In order to quickly resolve this problem, my company has agreed to provide a
motherboard with ICH5 controller to Søren Schmidt.  Can anyone who has
encountered this problem confirm that it happens on a motherboard with the
865 chipset and ICH5 S/ATA controller?  In particular, we're looking at an
Abit IS7-E motherboard.  If not, we'll buy one of the more expensive Intel
units and provide that.

Thanks in advance for your help.  Please reply directly to me; I'll
summarize and report back here when we've reached a conclusion.

Wes Peters                                              wes_at_OpenSail.ORG
Skipper                                             The OpenSail Project