Re: bind timeouts

From: Christian Hiris <4711_at_chello.at>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 00:34:17 +0200
On Tuesday 18 May 2004 16:30, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 07:23:52AM -0700 I heard the voice of
>
> Randy Bush, and lo! it spake thus:
> > >
> > > That covers the intial lookup, meaning that a CNAME pointing to an MX
> > > is legal.
> >
> > no.  it means an MX referring to a CNAME which resolves to an A
>
> Not by my reading.
>
>     The first step for the mailer at LOCAL is to issue a query for MX
>     RRs for REMOTE.
>
>     [...]
>
>     If the response contains an answer which is a CNAME RR, it
>     indicates that REMOTE is actually an alias for some other domain
>     name. The query should be repeated with the canonical domain name.
>
> which covers the case:
>
> foo     IN      CNAME   bar
> bar     IN      MX  10  mail
> mail    IN      A   127.0.0.1
>

> not the case:
>
> foo     IN      MX  10  bar
> bar     IN      CNAME   mail
>
>                            ----------------
>
> But, as I came across in a completely seperate quest (today is Bizarre
> Coincidence Day, boys and girls!), see RFC2181 §10.3:
>
>     The domain name used as the value of a NS resource record, or part
>     of the value of a MX resource record must not be an alias.
>
> Of course, 2181 is a _Proposed_ Standard, for whatever value you may
> choose to assign to that classification.

I found this in rfc 974 under 'Minor Special Issues'

[...]

Note that the algorithm to delete irrelevant RRs breaks if LOCAL has
a alias and the alias is listed in the MX records for REMOTE.  (E.g.
REMOTE has an MX of ALIAS, where ALIAS has a CNAME of LOCAL).  This
can be avoided if aliases are never used in the data section of MX
RRs.

[...]

Does it describe a situation like this?

	IN      NS      ns.sample.org.
	IN	MX	10	mail
foo	IN      A       192.168.1.1
ns	IN	CNAME	foo
mail	IN	CNAME	foo

--
Christian Hiris <4711_at_chello.at> | OpenPGP KeyID 0x941B6B0B
OpenPGP-Key at hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net and http://pgp.mit.edu