Re: 5.3: how to make /dev/acd0 world readable?

From: Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock_at_gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 17:25:14 +0100
Am Tuesday 02 November 2004 16:40 schrieb Ryan Sommers:
> Michael Nottebrock said:
> > Or you could add your user account to group operator.
>
> I think this is a very bad suggestion. He didn't say "my user" he said
> "world readable." While we're in the Bad Suggestion Dept. why not just
> tell him to set all his binaries that need acces to the device suid root?

I believe that statement belongs into the nonsensical-remark dept., thank you
very much.

> The operator group isn't intended to be a group-that-can-read-CDs.

The operator group is a very convenient solution for many permission-problems
on a very common case of FreeBSD usage: A private desktop system with exactly
one real user account + root. I don't believe it's too far-fetched a guess
that such a system is what we're talking about when the OP talks about
playing audio-cds.

--
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi_at_freebsd.org