Re: atapicam(4) as KLD?

From: Vladimir Grebenschikov <vova_at_fbsd.ru>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:07:18 +0400
В чт, 14/10/2004 в 16:29 -0400, Chuck Swiger пишет:
> Søren Schmidt wrote:
> > Chuck Swiger wrote:
> >>
> >> I'd strongly agree, unless there is a major downside to doing so.
> >>
> >> (Disclaimer: Having ATAPICAM in GENERIC would reduce my email support
> >> burden for the dvd+rw-tools port by a noticable fraction.  :-)
> >
> > But will do the opposite to my mailbox, and I *dont* support atapicam,
> > so I think its a bad idea, besides I waste enough time as is, thanks...
>
> My comment about email support was intended to be humorous.  If I didn't want
> to provide technical support to other people, I probably wouldn't spend as
> much time as I do answering people's questions, on list and off.
>
> Be that as it may, Soren, I guess you're free to not welcome questions about
> atapicam.  Would having it in GENERIC would make much difference to you if
> other people are willing to answer any questions which get asked on the
> mailing lists about it...?
>
> Is burncd able to burn a DVD [+/-{R,W,RAM}] to an IDE device without using
> ATAPICAM?  I think it is not unreasonable to expect the GENERIC kernel to be
> able to burn DVDs, as that can make for a reasonable backup mechanism.

well, just format and burn DVD+RW with burncd - no problems, but

frankly speaking, I do not like idea to have two devices for each drive,
like :

acd0: CDROM <ASUS CD-S500/A/1.4K> at ata1-master UDMA33
acd1: CDRW <CD-W524E/1.0A> at ata1-slave UDMA33
cd0 at ata1 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
cd0: <ASUS CD-S500/A 1.4K> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device
cd0: 33.000MB/s transfers
cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
cd1 at ata1 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
cd1: <TEAC CD-W524E 1.0A> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device
cd1: 33.000MB/s transfers
cd1: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present

% ls /dev/*cd*
/dev/acd0       /dev/acd1       /dev/cd0        /dev/cd1
%

It can mislead people. What happens if one will do both burncd
on /dev/acd0 and cdrecord on /dev/cd0 at same time ?

Atapi-cam strange add-on it should be basic mapping (no adX/acdX) or no
mapping at all (only atX/acdX).

I like idea to see all direct access drives from user-land with same
interface (like USB, SCSI, FireWire drives all seen as daX or cdX/passX)

--
Vladimir B. Grebenchikov
vova_at_fbsd.ru