Re: atapicam(4) as KLD?

From: Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 20:06:33 +1000
On Thu, 2004-Oct-14 16:29:17 -0400, Chuck Swiger wrote:
>Is burncd able to burn a DVD [+/-{R,W,RAM}] to an IDE device without using
>ATAPICAM?

dd(1) does a reasonable job of burning pre-formatted DVD+RWs.  I would
expect it to handle DVD-RAM but I'm not sure about write-once media.

>  I think it is not unreasonable to expect the GENERIC kernel to
>be able to burn DVDs, as that can make for a reasonable backup mechanism.

I tend to agree.  For some time, FreeBSD has been heading away from
requiring users to re-compile the kernel.  If ATAPICAM can't be
(readily) turned into a module, it would seem reasonable to have it
built into GENERIC.

Whilst we're discussing ATAPICAM, even after I make /dev/cd0[ac] mode
666, I can't write to it as a non-root user.  Does anyone know the
rationale for this and which particular EPERM is the culprit?  I've
had a quick look at the source but can't see nothing leapt out.

>[ Peripheral note: DVDs are OK for backup, that is, but I much prefer tapes
>for durability and long term storage.  Quantum sDLT 220 drives rock. ]

I can buy a DVD writer for about USD100.  An SDLT drive is about two orders
of magnitude more expensive.  Likewise, the media is around two orders of
magnitude more expensive.  In $/GB, DLT is only 2-3 times as expensive but
the capital cost is somewhat of a killer.

--
Peter Jeremy