Re: atapicam(4) as KLD?

From: Jose M Rodriguez <josemi_at_freebsd.jazztel.es>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 14:07:14 +0200
El Viernes, 15 de Octubre de 2004 12:06, Peter Jeremy escribió:
> On Thu, 2004-Oct-14 16:29:17 -0400, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> >Is burncd able to burn a DVD [+/-{R,W,RAM}] to an IDE device without
> > using ATAPICAM?
>
> dd(1) does a reasonable job of burning pre-formatted DVD+RWs.  I
> would expect it to handle DVD-RAM but I'm not sure about write-once
> media.
>
> >  I think it is not unreasonable to expect the GENERIC kernel to
> >be able to burn DVDs, as that can make for a reasonable backup
> > mechanism.
>
> I tend to agree.  For some time, FreeBSD has been heading away from
> requiring users to re-compile the kernel.  If ATAPICAM can't be
> (readily) turned into a module, it would seem reasonable to have it
> built into GENERIC.
>
> Whilst we're discussing ATAPICAM, even after I make /dev/cd0[ac] mode
> 666, I can't write to it as a non-root user.  Does anyone know the
> rationale for this and which particular EPERM is the culprit?  I've
> had a quick look at the source but can't see nothing leapt out.

unless you need things like k3b (-l cam), IMHO the best aproach must be
create some system groups (cdrom, cdrw) and make apps like cdrecord
setuid root (or operator) and group (not world) executable.

> >[ Peripheral note: DVDs are OK for backup, that is, but I much
> > prefer tapes for durability and long term storage.  Quantum sDLT
> > 220 drives rock. ]
>
> I can buy a DVD writer for about USD100.  An SDLT drive is about two
> orders of magnitude more expensive.  Likewise, the media is around
> two orders of magnitude more expensive.  In $/GB, DLT is only 2-3
> times as expensive but the capital cost is somewhat of a killer.

And about four orders of magnitude more reliable.

Also, size is a factor.  With 160 GB HD out there,  40/80 GB medium
capacity maybe a real need.

--
  josemi