Re: atapicam(4) as KLD?

From: Alexandre \ <Alex.Kovalenko_at_verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:36:08 -0400
On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 15:57, Søren Schmidt wrote:
> Chuck Swiger wrote:
> > Michael Nottebrock wrote:

> >> Easy workaround: Put atapicam into GENERIC. I'm waiting for that to
> >> happen ever since atapicam entered the tree.
> >

> > I'd strongly agree, unless there is a major downside to doing so.
> >
> > (Disclaimer: Having ATAPICAM in GENERIC would reduce my email support
> > burden for the dvd+rw-tools port by a noticable fraction.  :-)
>
> But will do the opposite to my mailbox, and I *dont* support atapicam,
> so I think its a bad idea, besides I waste enough time as is, thanks...

Since I was one of the people responsible for using up space in Søren's
mailbox in the past, I felt obliged to chime in -- my laptop (AVERATEC
3150H) was complaining about ad0 and would eventually hang if it had
'device atapicam'. I have disabled it and lived happily thereafter. To
be fair, I do not know if it still is the case. If there is enough
interest out there, I can plug it back in.

However, I think this would be something to consider before making it
part of GENERIC kernel.

FWIW.
---
Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko.