Re: atapicam(4) as KLD?

From: Chuck Swiger <cswiger_at_mac.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 16:29:17 -0400
Søren Schmidt wrote:
> Chuck Swiger wrote:
>> Michael Nottebrock wrote:
>>> Easy workaround: Put atapicam into GENERIC. I'm waiting for that to
>>> happen ever since atapicam entered the tree.
>>
>> I'd strongly agree, unless there is a major downside to doing so.
>>
>> (Disclaimer: Having ATAPICAM in GENERIC would reduce my email support
>> burden for the dvd+rw-tools port by a noticable fraction.  :-)
>
> But will do the opposite to my mailbox, and I *dont* support atapicam,
> so I think its a bad idea, besides I waste enough time as is, thanks...

My comment about email support was intended to be humorous.  If I didn't want
to provide technical support to other people, I probably wouldn't spend as
much time as I do answering people's questions, on list and off.

Be that as it may, Soren, I guess you're free to not welcome questions about
atapicam.  Would having it in GENERIC would make much difference to you if
other people are willing to answer any questions which get asked on the
mailing lists about it...?

Is burncd able to burn a DVD [+/-{R,W,RAM}] to an IDE device without using
ATAPICAM?  I think it is not unreasonable to expect the GENERIC kernel to be
able to burn DVDs, as that can make for a reasonable backup mechanism.

[ Peripheral note: DVDs are OK for backup, that is, but I much prefer tapes
for durability and long term storage.  Quantum sDLT 220 drives rock. ]

--
-Chuck