Re: 5.3-BETA7 install cd: kernel trap 12 with interrupts disabled (fwd)

From: Don Lewis <truckman_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:15:55 -0700 (PDT)
On 15 Oct, Robert Gray wrote:

> I'm a firm believer that we should encourage our users to
> buy ECC systems - motherboards that support ECC, and the
> more expensive SIMMs/DIMMs that have redundant bits.

Oh yeah.  Please tell me where I can find a motherboard that supports
both the newer Athlon XP's (with a 333 MHz FSB) and ECC RAM.  The only
Athlon XP motherboards that I found that support ECC RAM use the AMD 761
chipset, which is limited to a 266 MHz FSB.

Socket 370 motherboards that support ECC RAM are also getting rare.  The
only ones that support the newer processors use VIA chipsets and the
chipset documentation is unavailable to end-users, which makes it rather
difficult to write software to report ECC errors.  I sure wish that
Intel had upgraded the 440 BX chipset to support the newer processors.

Up to date and documented ECC hardware appears to be limited to some of
the Intel P4 chipsets and the Opteron/Athlon64.