Re: I deleted /stand/, but I need it again for diskless boot...

From: Jose M Rodriguez <josemi_at_freebsd.jazztel.es>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 04:21:02 +0200
El Martes, 19 de Octubre de 2004 04:03, Ryan Sommers escribió:
> Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
> > If You try to path /etc/rc.d/initdiskless, try not remove *.cpio.gz
> >
> >expand using /stand, but add *.tar expand using /bin/pax.
> >
> >You may also try some auto detection and use what is present
> >between /stand/cpio, /stand/gzip, /rescue/tar, /rescue/gzip ...
> >
> >Don't try moving gzip/libgzip from /usr to rootfs. It's really a big
> >change.
>
> /rescue/* aren't the right tools for the job in my opinion. Neither
> are /stand/*. I posted this to arch_at_ [1] and between that and this
> thread, among others on current_at_, the overwhelming majority of
> your argument for leaving /stand as part of the root filesystem;

This is known as POLA.

> other than as you say your 250gb drives don't mind the extra 3.5mb.
> In my opinion it's useless for both diskless and regular systems,
> with the exception of 2% of it's space. It's not updated as part of
> world, which means no bug fixes get populated to it. It's a crunchgen
> binary which means trying to fix small bugs in single programs either
> means rebuilding the binary or replacing that hardlink with an
> individual binary.

Working well here from years.  If you like add /bin/pax support and be
able to remove /stand, go on it.  But it isn't a real need of take
off /stand support.

Also, I not only the one trying use a crunchgen binary instead of /bin
+ /sbin for some diskless setups.

And I'm can't remember any mail about moving gzip/libgzip from /usr to
rootfs.

--
  josemi