Re: I deleted /stand/, but I need it again for diskless boot...

From: Ryan Sommers <ryans_at_gamersimpact.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 21:03:14 -0500
Jose M Rodriguez wrote:

> If You try to path /etc/rc.d/initdiskless, try not remove *.cpio.gz
>
>expand using /stand, but add *.tar expand using /bin/pax.
>
>You may also try some auto detection and use what is present
>between /stand/cpio, /stand/gzip, /rescue/tar, /rescue/gzip ...
>
>Don't try moving gzip/libgzip from /usr to rootfs. It's really a big
>change.

/rescue/* aren't the right tools for the job in my opinion. Neither are
/stand/*. I posted this to arch_at_ [1] and between that and this thread,
among others on current_at_, the overwhelming majority of responses have
been to get rid of /stand. I'm not sure I understand your argument for
leaving /stand as part of the root filesystem; other than as you say
your 250gb drives don't mind the extra 3.5mb. In my opinion it's useless
for both diskless and regular systems, with the exception of 2% of it's
space. It's not updated as part of world, which means no bug fixes get
populated to it. It's a crunchgen binary which means trying to fix small
bugs in single programs either means rebuilding the binary or replacing
that hardlink with an individual binary.

[1]
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=10365+0+current/freebsd-arch

--
Ryan Sommers