Re: Portupgrade -af question

From: Donald J. O'Neill <donaldj1066_at_fastmail.fm>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 16:07:45 -0500
On Wednesday 27 October 2004 02:34 pm, Zoltan Frombach wrote:

< cut for clarity >

Zoltan - you started this thread and now I'm curious, was your
question answered?

You do know that `portupgrade -af -P` is the same as `portupgrade
-afP`, and that what it's saying is: force an upgrade of all
installed packages using packages if available, otherwise build the
packages from the ports?

I'm also curious as to why you just do not use /etc/libmap.conf,
instead of rebuilding all installed packages, that would be even
faster. Just rebuild the ones that are necessary to be rebuilt
right away and let the others go until `portversion -vL=`  says the
installed package needs updating.

Here's another thing to consider: a lot of the prebuilt packages are
not uptodate (maybe most are now, but I doubt if every one is), if
you install those, you've still got the problem of packages built
with out of date library dependencies.

Don

--
Donald J. O'Neill