Re: Portupgrade -af question

From: Zoltan Frombach <tssajo_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:34:51 -0700

>> > In fact, I do have those compile options set in my
>> > /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf file. But are you sure that portupgrade
>> > will
>> > use those even when called with the -P flag ( eg: portupgrade -af -P )?
>>
>> Such environment variables have no effect on pkg_add (i.e. portupgrade
>> -P), because the package has already been compiled and its build
>> options were set at that time.
>
> Yes. Wouldn't it be a nice feature for "portupgrade -P" to install the
> port
> instead of the package if any non-defaults were defined in pkgtools.conf?
>
> (I guess now's the time for me to learn some ruby)

If you really want to add this to portupgrade, it should be optional,
though. Because someone might have a broken compiler or something and just
wants to install a binary package quickly. In that case it should be
possible to force a binary package installation regardless of what's inside
the pkgtools.conf file. Don't you agree?