Re: atacontrol and SATA RAID

From: Christian Hiris <4711_at_chello.at>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:22:20 +0200

On Friday 29 October 2004 19:48, Giovanni P. Tirloni wrote:
> Putinas Piliponis wrote:
> > atacontrol addspare ar0 ad6 should do the trick
>
>   If I try that with the ad6 disk removed I get the following error:
>
>     atacontrol: ioctl(ATARAIDADDSPARE): Device not configured

If I remember right, 'raid' should reflect the number of the array, not the
devicename: atacontrol addspare 0 ad6.

>   If I insert the disk I had removed (but this time I formated it
>   through the BIOS) it panics with the following message:

If you are not 100pct sure that FreeBSD supports your raid-controller's
hardware bits, don't manipulate an ataraid-created array via the controller's
bios. The raid-controller might overwrite your ataraid-bits.

>     ar0: 152627MB <ATA RAID1 array> [19457/255/63] status: READY
>     subdisks:
>       disk0 READY on ad4 at ata2-master
>       disk1 READY on ad6 at ata3-master
>     SPM: AP CPU #1 Launched!
>     Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ar0s1a
>     /: bad dir ino 2 at offset 0: mangled entry
>     /: bad dir ino 2 at offset 0: mangled entry
>     /: bad dir ino 2 at offset 0: mangled entry
>     /: bad dir ino 2 at offset 0: mangled entry
>     /: bad dir ino 2 at offset 0: mangled entry
>     init: not found in path /sbin/init:/sbin/oinit:/sbin/init.bak:
>     /stand/sysinstall
>     panic: no init
>     cpuid = 1
>     boot() called on cpu#1
>     Uptime: 1s
>
>   I'm worried about how am I going to replace a dead disk if it won't
> let me boot with a new disk inserted as ad6.

Try to overwrite the first few sectors of your spare disk (ad6) with zeroes.
Possibly there were some bits from your old ataraid or your raid-controller
left. You can do this by using the 'dd' command or a tool from your hardware
vendor. If your disk is "clean" retry the addspare and then rebuild your
mirror.

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ad6 bs=512 count=128
# atacontrol addspare 0 ad6
# atacontrol rebuild 0

HTH,
ch

- --
Christian Hiris <4711_at_chello.at> | OpenPGP KeyID 0x3BCA53BE
OpenPGP-Key at hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net and http://pgp.mit.edu