Re: atacontrol and SATA RAID

From: Giovanni P. Tirloni <gpt_at_tirloni.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 17:43:42 -0300
Christian Hiris wrote:
> Try to overwrite the first few sectors of your spare disk (ad6) with zeroes.
> Possibly there were some bits from your old ataraid or your raid-controller
> left. You can do this by using the 'dd' command or a tool from your hardware
> vendor. If your disk is "clean" retry the addspare and then rebuild your
> mirror.
>
> # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ad6 bs=512 count=128
> # atacontrol addspare 0 ad6
> # atacontrol rebuild 0

  The first time I formated the disk through the Adaptec BIOS FreeBSD
  would still add the disk to the array and panic. I allowed it to
  format 10% of the disk. The second time I left it formating the whole
  disk and it worked (see my other e-mail describing how I got it to
  work).

  In resume, I've a RAID-capable controller but I'm not using it (Intel
  6300ESB / Adaptec HostRAID BIOS) because FreeBSD won't recognize the
  array I create there. So far the RAID support in FreeBSD's ata has
  done the job.

--
Giovanni P. Tirloni