Re: atacontrol and SATA RAID

From: Giovanni P. Tirloni <gpt_at_tirloni.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 17:39:54 -0300
Giovanni P. Tirloni wrote:
 > Putinas Piliponis wrote:
 >
 >> atacontrol addspare ar0 ad6 should do the trick

Yay, it worked. Here are the steps that I've followed to simulate a
disk failure. I hope this helps anyone having the same problem. I'm
using FreeBSD 5.3-RC1 with two Seagate SATA 160GB disks.

1. Turned machine off
2. Removed ad6
3. Turned it on
4. Ok, everything working fine (array in degraded mode)
5. Turned it off

Now I'm going to format ad6 through the BIOS

1. Inserted ad6 cable again
2. Turned machine on
3. Entered Adaptec HostRAID BIOS
4. Formated ad6
5. FreeBSD boots, array in degraded mode
6. atacontrol detach 3 (system says ad6 was removed from config)
7. atacontrol attach 3
8. atacontrol addspare ar0 ad6
9. atacontrol rebuild ar0

On another terminal "atacontrol status ar0" returns:

ar0: ATA RAID1 subdisks: ad4 ad6 status: REBUILDING 3% completed

I did this process in multi-user mode then I began to think about what
would happen if I changed the files somehow. Would that cause data
corruption too? I think I should have done this in single-user mode.

Thanks,

--
Giovanni P. Tirloni