Re: Wine and mmap

From: Anish Mistry <mistry.7_at_osu.edu>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 17:43:21 -0400
On Sunday 05 September 2004 05:15 pm, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> [ John, sorry for the duplicate message; this is the correct one. ]
>
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, John Birrell wrote:
> > Anish Mistry <mistry.7_at_osu.edu> has developed a patch to choose an
> > appropriate mmap address. He posted it to -current. I haven't had time to
> > test it.
>
> Thanks for the note.  Will you have time to test/commit this before 5.3?
>
> Anish, do you have any news on this patch?  (Wine has been broken for a
> couple of months now, and it would be great to have at least 5.3 fixed.)

I'm still in the process of try to fix wine so that the new versions after
June work too.  Unless I have some major break through or someone else can
fix the problem of wine not loading the evecutable at the default load
location it probably won't be.
To see what I mean use Brian Fundakowski Feldman's patch to fix a pthread
problem in (thr_stack.c) and apply my mmap patch and try to run a few
programs with the August version of wine.
What seems to be the problem is that there is an mmap call in wine that I
can't seem to find that ends up allocating allocating the space at least on
my system (addr=0x003a0000 size=0x00010100) after the initial mmaping that
consumes the default load location of 0x00400000 so then wine doesn't like
that and dies.  Some apps DO work since apparently they don't trigger the
previously stated mmap over the load location.

--
Anish Mistry