Re: Wine and mmap

From: Anish Mistry <mistry.7_at_osu.edu>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 01:49:35 -0400
On Sunday 05 September 2004 05:15 pm, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> [ John, sorry for the duplicate message; this is the correct one. ]
>
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, John Birrell wrote:
> > Anish Mistry <mistry.7_at_osu.edu> has developed a patch to choose an
> > appropriate mmap address. He posted it to -current. I haven't had time to
> > test it.
>
> Thanks for the note.  Will you have time to test/commit this before 5.3?
>
> Anish, do you have any news on this patch?  (Wine has been broken for a
> couple of months now, and it would be great to have at least 5.3 fixed.)

Well I guess this is my lucky day.  Apply the attached patch for vm_mmap to
your kernel and patch the August wine sources with the wine-mmap.patch and
compile and install wine (be sure to use gmake).  This is working on my dev
system with 6-CURRENT as of Saturday night.
The wine mmap patch just doesn't reserve the DOS area so DOS programs may not
work.  This seems to just work around a side effect of the kernel mmap patch.
I still think that the kernel mmap patch has issues so I'm hoping Alan can
give us some feedback.
Anyway this worked for me, YMMV.
--
Anish Mistry