Re: Can't change partition table anymore

From: Reid Linnemann <lreid_at_cs.okstate.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 14:46:24 -0500 (CDT)
On 4/4/2005, "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

>In message <1112632713.71324.52.camel_at_buffy.york.ac.uk>, Gavin Atkinson writes:
>
>>Only the most anti-gun people would say that the safety catch should
>>We're not talking about curb-side child-height baskets.  We're talking
>>about people who should know what they are doing (they have root, after
>>all), entering commands which they expect to work...
>
>Sorry, I disagree.
>
>This was true when root was Ken, Dennis and Brian.
>
>Today root is Tom, Dick and Harry and they need sensible padding.

On Linux, I would agree. Every 16 year-old h4x0r in the northern
hemisphere picks up Linux and expects it to be idiotproof. On BSD, I
disagree. Frankly, I feel BSD operators are BSD operators because they
_want_ the power available, not because it's the new fad OS on the
block. The audience is more mature, and should be treated as asuch.
Honestly, I think most BSD operators expect the power of root to be
undiluted, the arguments put forth thus far should be proof enough of
that. And if a BSD operator shoots their own foot off, they remember not
to do "that" again without reading the manual and testing in a
non-production environment first.

Just my $0.02 on the matter.

-Reid